Tweet

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Week 14

A Review of the introduction of The Cognition of Basic Musical Structures by David Temperley. I'm kind of glad we didn't have to read this book. The introduction was extremely dry. I don't completely understand exactly what Temperley was talking about but there were a couple things that struck me as interesting. He writes about "these structures are most often simply taken for granted as musical facts" (19). As a musician, there aren't a whole of things that are fact so this statement is interesting. One possible issue that I see is that the says "I speak of the ``correct'' analysis of a piece - as I often will- I mean the analysis that I assume listeners hear" (27). With music, you can never say there is a correct way to analyize a peice or hear a piece. Everybody's going to hear something different.

I have definitely learned some things in this class and a lot of things because of my musical background have been old news. 
So I leave you with a video of Anthony Warlow singing "This is the Moment"


No comments:

Post a Comment