Tweet

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Music economics


In writing about the patient with amnesia (7 seconds remembrance time!), Sacks writes that “a piece of music will draw one in, teach one about its structure and secrets, whether one is listening consciously or not. Listening to music is not a passive process but intensely active, involving a stream of inferences, hypotheses, expectations, and anticipations” (226). This is so true! Even if you’re not actively listening, anybody who listens to music, even half-heartedly, will be engaged with it.

Sacks also mentions Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring in the footnotes which in hindsight, should have been called the Riot of spring because when it was first played, the crowd went nuts, literally and caused a bloody riot. This isn’t the first time that I’ve heard this story. Jad Abumrad & Robert Krulwich talk about it in their podcast: “Musical Language” (From RadioLab). The Rite of Spring is now a famous classical piece and it is hard to imagine why they rioted over it but to the listeners in 1913, it was new, unconventional, and strange.

In Chapter 23 as a footnote, Sacks writes about a woman who sings in “dozens of languages, without knowing the meaning of any of them” (304). This isn’t all that special. I do this as well.  I don’t know them from memory but I do sing in Italian and most of the time, I don’t know what the song means.

Also in Chapter 23, Sacks discusses dreams and music and while I do dream in music, it’s never in fragments like talks about on 306-307. I dream in musicals. Like that I’m in them… 

If you dream in music, do you agree with Massey when writes that “music is the only faculty that is not altered by the dream environment”? (Sacks, 309) At times many of the times I don’t remember my dreams and while I can sing, it seems that I sing much better in my dreams. Or is this just a projection on my part?

Chapters 6-7 are two chapters in the performance manual that focus on the user part of being in a music librarian. In these, distribution, check out, care and keeping audition lists is something a music librarian does. What’s interesting here is that the music library associated with my undergraduate college did not post any audition lists, either for the school or for local events.

Free Press - Who Owns the Media?
http://www.freepress.net/resources/ownership
Interesting website about who owns what media…

downhillbattle.org
http://www.downhillbattle.org/itunes/
Another interesting article about how iTunes is screwing over the artist again

Taxi
http://www.taxi.com/
Being an unsigned artist is extremely hard. This site is a good place to start looking for information

Music XML
http://www.recordare.com/software.html
Good website for comparing all the different types of music software

No comments:

Post a Comment